Let's Talk About: 2NE1 disbandment

6:40:00 PM


First of all, What. The. Fuck.

That’s my first reaction. The second reaction is confused. The third reaction is devastated. The fourth reaction is crying. That shows how much I love 2NE1.

2NE1 is a Korean girl group that debuted in 2009. Since their first introduction to the music world, people knew that these girls ain’t gonna be the regular girl group in Korea. They gave a new standard in the K-Pop scene, from their music, appearance, and attitude. People were so used to with the concept of cute and bubbly or girl-next-door typical of girl group, but 2NE1 broke all the stereotypes. They came as strong and fierce ladies like they can conquer the world. Well, they are indeed. In 7 years of their career, 2NE1 proven their existence not only for Korean but for people around the world. Their music reached out to all over the globe, made their name known everywhere.

I have to say that 2NE1 is the one that introduced me to K-Pop. They’re one of the reasons why I fell in love with K-Pop. Before them, there are several girl groups already debuted, but none of them suited my taste. I personally don’t really like the cute and bubbly concept. So when I found 2NE1, I said to myself, “This is it. This is what a girl group should be.” Their overall concept made me fell for them instantly. I started to listen to their music, watched their reality show, followed their social media…bottom line is I became a fan. Instantly. Slowly but sure, I was making a connection with the girls — as a fan.

I have to say since late 2012, I started to feel the struggle of being 2NE1’s fan — Blackjack. Starting from that year, I had to become more patient and ready for a roller coaster ride. Delayed album release and no confirmation of a comeback were just the beginning. During the year 2013, 2NE1 only released 3 singles released since the middle of the year, which some of them were just an okay song in my opinion. The song to me sounded like, “Okay, Blackjack. Here is some okay appetizer. The main dish is still in the making. I dunno when it will finish but we’re cooking it. Meanwhile, enjoy this okay track.” Those singles felt like a filler to fill the uncertainty of a comeback.

2014, Blackjacks finally could breathe easy because the queens were finally having a comeback with a killer album and also a killer concert. Everything back to normal again. I started to think that having a patient can give you a good reward. Maybe those singles in 2013 were not that impactful, but hey, look, they finally gave us a really good album and a superb concert. See, the patient gives you a good reward, kid. 2014 was the year where Blackjack can enjoy 2NE1 to the fullest again.

But I guess a good thing never lasts long. In 2015, Blackjacks had to face another struggle. This was the year where the roller coaster started to descend to a very deep fall. After that wonderful and awesome comeback, the group started to be on hiatus — full mode. Members were started to be on solo activities. Scandal started to rise again which resulted in a member being gone from public eyes. Nothing was given out to the public as a group. I had to think positively at that time. I had to think that maybe they need some rest as a group and it’s time for them to also shine as an individual. As for the scandal, maybe time will tell that people who brought it back are just some jealous creatures. You know, a positive mind can also give you a positive result. So I patiently wait for them to have promotion as a group while still supporting their individual activities.

This year is where everything finally clear. Definitely not in the way I want it, but finally 2NE1’s future is clear. Clearly not for a happy result. Earlier this year, one of the members decided not to continue her contract and departed from the group. YG said that the group will continue as a 3-member group. Okay. I’m okay with that. Though I’m sad, but I’m okay with that decision. So I patiently wait again for 2NE1 to come back as a group. Wait and wait, hoping for a bright future. Yet, here I am, feeling like shit knowing that her favorite girl group ever to disband. I guess that roller coaster will never ascend again. It just falls really deep into infinity and beyond.

I feel like I need someone to be blamed for this cruel ending of 2NE1, but I dunno who to blame. Should I blame the company for neglecting them so many times? For not trying to revive and save the group despite having one member departed? I mean, there are a lot of cases in K-Pop when a member leaving but the group still stands strong. But is it fair to blame the company? I mean, I dunno what’s REALLY going on behind the curtain. Maybe this is really a mutual agreement between the member and the company. Maybe they think that they cannot move on and be 2NE1 again since there are only 3 of them left. Maybe for them, 2NE1 is 4. When it became 3, it didn’t feel like 2NE1 anymore. I dunno. I just try to think of any possibilities.

I have to be honest though, ever since the group hiatus, I already prepared myself for the worst scenario but I didn’t expect it’s gonna be this soon. I could see why all the bad things happen, judging from my perspective as a fan. But still, I cannot believe that this is really happening. Feels like I’m in denial though I knew that something bad will happen, sooner or later. Ah, I’m confused.

I wanna be mad, but I dunno who to be mad at. I feel like I need to accept the reality with an open heart. All I can do right now is thanking 2NE1 for giving me an awesome journey for these past few years, for giving me a great music, a great performance, a great chemistry, a great sisterhood, a great individual with great talent and great personality, a great attitude, a great color and image and new standard in K-Pop, a great representation of a strong woman…a great everything. Thank you for giving a lot of people to know you and K-Pop. Thank you for being such a good role model in the K-Pop industry.

7 years standing and 2NE1 is called a legend. I cannot agree more. K-Pop will never be the same without 2NE1. They are indeed queens of K-Pop. I dunno what else to write. It’s just overwhelming now. I will leave you with their last performance as a complete group so that we can cry together. Btw, I still remember exactly the feeling when I saw this performance. I fucking cried. Cried of happiness. Happiness because I could see my girls were still alive and still going strong as a group. But now, the memory will be different. The reason to cry will be different. Here’s to the queens! *raising glass*

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Blog Archive